Monday, July 8, 2013

The Job Push


Monday has made its way around again, along with the thought that it makes one more day before the end of the month. One more day until another bill is due that I simply don't have the cash for at the moment. Another day in which good ole' Sallie (among others) calls and harasses me about a bill that I explained (on record) time and time again that I just am unable to pay at the moment. Another day I open my eyes and immediately after telling God that I am grateful for being alive do I mention to Him, "Let's see how you are going to do this today!".

I'm not down to my last dime...that's really low! I will say that I am doing a lot less than living paycheck to paycheck though. The art business (especially to a newbie) can be so fickle. One week I have gigs out the wazoo, and the next its bare bones...nothing! The massage therapy business (the job that is not really a job to me) is super fickle as well. As a matter of fact, most people look at both as more of a luxury as oppose to to a necessity. Read my post called The Starving Artist, and you will catch my drift!

Since the well is running dry and doing so at a pace that is not conducive to me making ends meet, I must be on the job push (better known as the job hunt). I mentioned this in a previous post, and now it has become a reality. I have no choice in the matter of looking for a job at this point. However, what I do have a choice in what type of job I choose.

The jobs that I apply for must give me enough time to dedicate to my craft. I must be able to create on a daily basis, and run my business effectively. I must be able to be my own best employee, but also serve the business that I am working for with excellence. They must be able to fuel my creativity, and allow me to blossom on this creative path I am on.

OMG! I'm embarking on a road that I haven't been on in years, and I'm nervous (teetering on afraid). Why? I haven't sent out a resume for years! In my mind, things were going to be booming and I would never have to send out another resume. I know...such "head in the clouds" thinking. I knew that...but can't a girl dream a bit?

Now I am going in this new direction, and I'm finding it difficult to format my resume to cater to my art experience. I'm experienced in my craft. I mean everything that I do is creative! I have creativity oozing out of my pores for Pete's sake! And what does all of that mean if an employer needs to see it in black and white? Absolutely NOTHING!

That's the hard part for me. Give me the opportunity to show you what I can do, and I have a great chance of getting the job.As a matter of fact, I'm confident enough to say, the job is mine! But talking about what I know how to do is a horse of a different color. It feels a lot like bragging. I guess in some ways it is bragging, and I have never been good at bragging about what I know I can do. I'd much rather show you, and then let you tell the story.

I'm backed in a corner now, and forced to do something that I don't love. I could crumble under the pressure or I could rise to the occasion. It's not an option really. I've never been a quitter, and seeing the glass half full as oppose to half empty has been my way of life. So, I've prepared myself mentally, put my big girl pants on, and buckled up my seat belt. I'm prepared for what may or may not be a bit of a bumpy ride on my venture to be gainfully employed.

Your Thoughts:
Have you ever been unemployed in your adulthood? If so, how did you handle your unemployment lull?

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Journeys are not meant to go on alone. I'd love for you to join in on my journey!

Check back often as I make every effort to reply to your comments here!