Wednesday, July 10, 2013

My First...


I was introduced to my first a few weeks ago via Craigslist. I have perused Craigslist often to find him. I had been looking for him for quite some time. Let's say it's been a few years. I am sure that I have come across many that were just like him or came close, but I was stuck in a mind frame that wouldn't allow me to accept him as a good thing.

So here he is, and here I am ready to accept all that he has to offer! It's official...

I will be showing my paintings!!!!!!

Where: 
The Factory 
13 Fern Avenue
Collingswood, NJ 08108

When:
August 10th, 2013

Time:
6pm to 10pm

Cost:
FREE
*bring yourself, bring your friend, bring your friends friend...and their friends too :-)

When The Factory and I met, I wasn't sure whether we would make a good match. The Craigslist listing stated that there were studio spaces available starting at $300. If you are an artist, you know that that price is a real steal. And although I wasn't ready to rent studio space, I was ready to look for an open space where I could show my paintings for the very first time. 

I called to inquire, and spoke to a very kind gentleman. I later came to know him as Tom. He told me a little about the The Factory and it's history and encouraged me to come out and take a look at the space. I was super impressed with Toms amicable nature and decided to do exactly that. On my visit, I got a tour by another kind gentleman by the name of Eli. The space was great, and I decided that I would be crazy to not take the opportunity to show my talents in the space that was run by good-natured folks!

Here is a little about The Factory from their website:
"The Factory is a members work shop for artists, craftsmen and innovators. The Factory has been a symbol of ingenuity and creativity since the beginning of the industrial revolution. Hard working people have been producing products in factories here in the USA for over a century. We are all about reinventing how and where people work. The Factory is more than just a space for lease the mission is to bring together creative minded individuals to share an absolutely one of a kind space.
Housed in The Collingswood Theatre that opened in 1920 it was an active movie venue until about 1962. By the early 1970’s it was being used as a photography studio. In the 1990’s the Philadelphia Orchestra occasionally used it as a recording studio. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982 and is now the new home of the Factory."
As stated above, I will be showing on Saturday, August 10th for their 2nd Saturday Party. There will be other artists that specialize in other mediums showing their work that night also. It's a good time to see the creations of local artists. It's a good time to interact and socialize with those artists. And if you like a snack...it's a good time to have one of those too!

I have exactly a month to make sure that I get what I need to do this thing right. I am going to be doing what I call a countdown from this day forward. That means that I will be posting everyday to keep you all up to snuff on the process that I am taking leading up to the big event. 

So, it's official! I am officially his, and he is officially mine! My work has a home for a few hours on Saturday, August 10th. I am sure that those few hours will turn into permanent homes for all my pieces shown. I am sure that it will open doors that will remain open for the time that they need to until something else comes along that is too grandiose to fit through those doorways. 

Your Thoughts:
What was your first big break? How did you prepare? What did you learn from the experience?

Until next time...

2 comments:

Journeys are not meant to go on alone. I'd love for you to join in on my journey!

Check back often as I make every effort to reply to your comments here!