Thursday, July 25, 2013

15 Days Left - What's Your Price?


It's day 15 and I would consider what I am doing today to be the most nerve racking in the line of things that I must do. Why? Today has been all about the money...the moolah...the dinero...the Benjamin's...the dividends...the bread...the ducats...the pesos...the cha ching...the dough...okay, okay, okay, you catch my drift!

This is the day that I have been taking the time out to price my work, which I have done on a rare occasion. Yes, you read that correctly...on rare occasion.This is such an important part of the process of becoming a successful artist. Duh...I know that! No really, I do know that! I just have to implement what it is that I now know. 

In the past I viewed my work as outward expressions of what I thought about inwardly. I knew that I wanted to sell, but for the most part I wasn't ready. See for the most part I think of my pieces as my babies.  The kind of babies that come out of the womb. I conceptualize, sketching out what is on the brain. I create them. I work and re-work them. I walk away from them and return again. It's a process.  And just as a mother incubates her unborn child until it is ready to be born ..I too hold my pieces close until they are ready. And like an overprotective mother sometimes doesn't want her children to leave the nest...I too didn't always want my pieces to leave my possession. 

So I am left with having to do this task. People have been asking how I come up with a price for my work. I let them know it has to do with my time and the cost of the materials. Of course there are other small variables, but that is the crux of the equation. And just in case I missed anything, I've done my research and have come up with what I believe to be a pretty fair way to price my artwork. It's really a simple equation that is fair to both the buyer and myself!

It's going to take me more than a day to price my pieces. It's not because it's hard, but more because it's a task that I don't necessarily want to do. It always takes longer to do things that you don't want to do. However, I should be done by tomorrow.

Your Thoughts:
What gift or talent that you have is hard to share or give away? Why?

Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. You forgot cheesy bread, LOL...People used to say to me all the time, why don't you sell your songs and I was hurt/insulted by such a question? Would you sell your soul? But, I think part of that is because the writing was only half of what I wanted to do with the lyrics. I wanted to sing my thoughts and feelings that I worked hard to put together. To give them away would be like giving myself away. But since then, I've given songs away (sowed them). Not often, but it was good because it was right. Having done that, I think it has opened doors and stretched my writing. I'm legit excited for what's next musically

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should be "legit excited" for what is to come. Our DAD has given you an amazing gift that the world needs to hear! I can't wait to see what He has in store for you!

    ReplyDelete

Journeys are not meant to go on alone. I'd love for you to join in on my journey!

Check back often as I make every effort to reply to your comments here!