Wednesday, July 17, 2013

23 Days Left - Pregnant Nudes


I created the above piece years ago. It's a silhouette of a pregnant woman. It's a silhouette of a nude pregnant woman. It's sort of hard to tell since it's a silhouette, but she is nude just the same. 

It's day 23, and I've decided to start a new series based on this painting for the upcoming art show. They will all be nude portraits of pregnant women. You may ask, "Why pregnant, and why nude?" And the simple answer would be that there is a peculiar beauty that comes along with a pregnant woman. 

Why pregnant?
Perhaps to answer this question best, I need to start by telling you a little about myself (if you don't already know). I am a believer...a believer in the Creator God. I have a relationship with Christ (better known as being a Christian). And because of this, I am a subscriber to the best love story that exists (The Bible). 

In this love story we are introduced to the woman who is considered the mother of the human race. Yup...you got it...Eve. To me the fascinating birth process starts here. Her name alone means life, living and enlivening. Eve was the first to give life. The first to experience pregnancy and all that goes along with it. The first to experience the pain (her and Adam's fault) of birth and the pleasure of seeing a child that she carried for 9 months. 

So why am I so amazed? It is said that the average healthy man releases over 40 million sperm per ejaculation. That means that one soldier (sperm) is strong enough to make the trek of meeting the promised land (egg). Once the sperm meets the egg, they become one and take a trip to the uterus, which is the perfect host to house cells that grow into what we know as you and I...human beings! From a nothing to something...and sometimes quite large somethings! An enthralling process if you ask me. A process where it is impossible to deny a higher being. 

For me, pregnancy is a constant reminder of the awesome God that I serve!

Why nude?
I remember the first time having to sketch a nude figure. It was a female. I remember looking around the room to see the reaction of the other students. Their  reactions were much like mine...it's a human body. There was nothing sexual or sensual about it. It just was! It was part of our culture. It was what we needed to learn in order to become better at our craft.

Nudity remains much the same for me today. I've seen nude women and men and have been able to keep my cool knowing that in my eyes nudity is simply the essence of who one is. There is a vulnerability there that is undeniable. It's how we came out of our mothers wombs. To me a symbol of freedom. 

Being an artist who is a Christian, I get the "you heathen" stare all the time when it comes to the subject of nudes. I am sure that much of that may happen at this upcoming show as well with the reveals of my nude pregnant women. I am okay with that. I'm no longer imprisoned by the comments and concerns of others. Perhaps the pieces will strike up a much needed conversation that will allow two communities to gain a greater understanding of each other. Whatever the case may be, I am comfortable knowing that my motives are pure. 

Your Thoughts:
What do you consider to be beautiful, yet controversial to others?

Until next time...



2 comments:

  1. tattoos. I love tattoos. With the right artist tattoos can enhance the expression of who you are on the inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol...yes! That is a big controversy for some...especially those in the church!

      Delete

Journeys are not meant to go on alone. I'd love for you to join in on my journey!

Check back often as I make every effort to reply to your comments here!