Tuesday, August 6, 2013

4 Days Left - Asking For Help


There are really just 4 days left (not counting the day of) to the show, and today was extremely productive! I had a long list of to-do's today and I am happy to say that the majority of them are done. And the night is still not over young chaps! I am going to make the most of every moment.

Part of that moment includes writing a proposal to ask for some help from readers like you! About a week ago I sat down with a dear friend and fellow blogger. We were talking about the art of giving and receiving, and how often times it is difficult for a person who naturally likes to give to receive. She made mention of this TED video that she had watched by a woman named Amanda Palmer. The almost 15 minute clip was called, "The Art of Asking".

In "The Art of Asking", Amanda (an alternate rock icon) shows us the incredible ease behind the simple task of asking for help. She reasons that there is an innate desire for everyone to want to help in some form or fashion. For her, it was fulfilling the needs of her and her band on different levels. In one place they needed some equipment. In another their needs included a place to lay their heads and nourishment. And still in another, something as simple as a neti pot. Their fans went above and beyond on a consistent basis. They truly wanted to help. Not merely because she was going to give them a show (sometimes free), but because there was a connection that was formed. A bond! And I would venture to say that is worth more than a show any day!

Let's paint a picture (since I like painting). Your favorite artist is performing a concert 300 miles away from you, but in their travels something happens to their mode of transportation and they get stuck in your town (100 miles away from the closest city). They put the call out for help from their fans, and you happen to be the first to respond. They decide that you are the one whose help they need, and stay with you for the evening. When they arrive they don't just tolerate you, but decide to spend time with you. There was a connection formed that many others could only dream of...priceless!

I've never been one to really ask for help. Call it having an "I can do it by myself" attitude or pride...asking was simply not my thing. However, the talk I had with my friend and Amanda's speech made sense. Why wouldn't people want to help me? Why  wouldn't they want to sow into something that I was doing that was meaningful? Of course they would. They did it before and I believe they would do it again. I truly believe that people find value in purpose, and someone who is vigorously going after their purpose.

So I've decided to stick my neck out there and put my pride on the line and just do it!

I'M ASKING FOR HELP!!!

How? That's tomorrows post. Tonight I have a bit more research to do!

Your Thoughts:
Is it difficult for you to ask for help? If so, why? If not, what advice can you offer to others that would make it easier for them to ask for the help they need?

Until next post...

2 comments:

  1. hahaha! The Lord honors you. I sent you a text today and had not even seen this post until now!!! CHECK YA PHONE!!!! LOL God is on your side chil' (Amanda Palmer ROCKS!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda Palmer she's cool (I like what she has to say), but....YOU ROCK!! I love you, and thank you for supporting me!

      Delete

Journeys are not meant to go on alone. I'd love for you to join in on my journey!

Check back often as I make every effort to reply to your comments here!