Thursday, November 1, 2018

The Creative Process

Two weeks ago in an effort to push my motivation (and creativity) into overdrive, I ran across a great piece about the creative process. I am not exactly sure of the origin of the writing, but it went like this.

The Creative Process In 6 Steps:
1. This is amazing
2. This is tricky
3. This is s#*t
4. I am s#8t
5. This might be ok
6. This is awesome

I am almost sure it was meant to be funny and a bit cheeky, but for once it explained exactly (and I do mean EXACTLY) how I feel about the creative process.

Most of the time it starts off with an amazing idea...one that is pretty epic without execution. Then execution of that amazing idea gets underway and things get a little fuzzy. They eventually turn out to be pretty amazing as the process states.

If honesty is on the table, sometimes step 4 proves to be first. It is that very thought that I know not to be true that sometimes holds me back from putting a brush to a canvas, pen to paper or coming up with beautiful jewelry pieces. It can be stifling, to say the least. 

I have one thought that proves to be my saving grace...I am not alone! There are several variations of this 6 step creative process out there, which leaves me to believe that there are plenty of other artists and creatives alike that feel this way. So I have been inducted into the club. I don't mind being in the club...it's good company!


Corner of Gratitude:
Being in good company

Pearls of Wisdom:
"I think there's no creative process that goes without injuries and scratches and punches. You get beat up somehow, and that's part of the commitment. You have to be open to that."

~Edgar Ramirez


Your Thoughts:
Are you open to getting "beat up" for creative process?

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Journeys are not meant to go on alone. I'd love for you to join in on my journey!

Check back often as I make every effort to reply to your comments here!