Wednesday, October 2, 2013

The Joy of Journaling


Anyone who knows me knows that I am an avid journaler. For those of you that don't know me so well...I always have my journal in tote. 

I've been journaling since the tender age of 10. I started because I saw my sister journaling. I used to sneak and read her pages...her story. It was all so interesting and I thought I should probably do the same thing (trying desperately to be like her). You may ask, "what did you talk about at the age of 10?". And the answer would be, "Nothing much!". I was happy to have anything to say at that point. I had an imagination and there was always a cute boy to talk about. 

I'm grateful for my sister. She no longer journals on a consistent basis. The title of wife and mother (two really important jobs) have taken the place of spending time journaling. However, I'm grateful that she decided to keep a journal if for nothing else than to pass on something that I deem to be so special.

Nowadays I have plenty to write about. Life has given me a story, and much to talk about. And although the story is interesting, I don't write for a stories sake. My journals are my prayers...my conversations with God. They keep me sane. They keep me on point. 

If you read, you'd find tales of joy, of sadness, of love, and sometimes even envy. You'd read about my struggles and my victory's. You'd read poems and songs. You'd see plenty of doodles, drawings, magazine clippings, and perhaps a painting here and there.

It typically takes me anywhere between 3 to 8 months to finish a journal (depending on how small or large it is), and I have managed to keep them all. It's wild to look back at my first journal. Truthfully, it's wild to look back at a journal from a year or 2 ago. Time is funny. It happens quick and waits for no one without remorse. So it's good to go back and read through what seems to be like time collected and preserved on paper. The feelings evoked from the read memories almost feel real. They make me laugh, and cry, and mostly grateful that I am evolving into the person that I am supposed to be. 

Decades from now, I will have hundreds of journals. I will have a treasure to pass on to my children, and my children's children. They will read and be in awe of some of the things that mommy/grandma did. They will see that nothing is new under the sun. They will understand that they have experienced some of the same struggles and victories. They will learn from my mistakes and my successes!

I'm excited about that! 

Your Thoughts:
Are you a journaler? If so...is it for a season or a lifetime?

Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. A wwww sister...love you! You bless me in so many ways...your vulnerability, creativity, authentic love for people, & your heart's longing to please God ALWAYS is an inspiration....so proud of you and LOVE YOU MUCH...MUAH***

    ReplyDelete

Journeys are not meant to go on alone. I'd love for you to join in on my journey!

Check back often as I make every effort to reply to your comments here!