Sunday, October 20, 2013

Exploring The Depths of Who I Am

This weekend proved to be more than great in the realm of unexpected relaxation. Yesterday was supposed to be a total work day, and for the most part it was with the exception of the few hours the Sandman stole unexpectedly.

I spent the earlier part of the day doing a small mural for the salon I work in. It was fun and gave me a chance to use my gifts in the place I work.



The later half of the day I spent working with photographs from a photography shoot I had with dear married friends of mine. They are expecting their second child in a few months, and wanted to capture their pregnancy. They have a sweet 2 year old daughter that is simply adorable, funny, and wise beyond her years.








I have been getting a lot of requests for photo shoots lately.  And that...in the grand scheme of things is great! If I can fit the shoot in my schedule, I typically don't turn it down. I absolutely love capturing moments of life, especially the sentimental ones.

But here's the thing I have come to realize as of late...I am best at getting a random moment on camera (more artistic and documentary style). Meaning, I am not typically a portraiture photographer (they work best when staging scenes and putting people in posed positions). There are plenty of photographers that are great at that...it just happens not to be me.

Now...can I do it? Absolutely! Would you get a great shot? Yup! Would it be the best you could get out of me? No! That may sound bad and I may lose a client here or there,  but I'm okay with that.

The reality is, I'm here (One Artsy Gals Journey)to explore the depths of who I am as an artist, and talk about my journey honestly in hopes of helping others on their journey. No one learns when we are not honest with ourselves. The potential teachable moment passes and leaves the person who was supposed to learn searching.

So I am staying focused on what I do best, and learning how to do the things that I don't, a little better. That means that I am always open to learn a little bit more about the things that are not my forte like
portraiture photography!

Your Thoughts:
Is there something that you are good at, but not the best? Do you let people know in what ways you work best, and look to further educate yourself with the things that you could improve upon?

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Journeys are not meant to go on alone. I'd love for you to join in on my journey!

Check back often as I make every effort to reply to your comments here!