Friday, January 17, 2014

Obedience...Better Than Sacrifice


"Do you think all God wants are sacrifices— empty rituals just for show? He wants you to listen to him! Plain listening is the thing, not staging a lavish religious production. Not doing what God tells you is far worse than fooling around in the occult. Getting self-important around God is far worse than making deals with your dead ancestors. Because you said No to God’s command, he says No to your kingship." (1 Samuel 15:22-23, The Message)

Obedience -the quality or state of being obedient, which means to dutifully comply with the commands or instructions of those in authority. 

Submission - 1) the offering of animal, plant, or human life or of some material possession to a deity, as in propitiation or homage. 2) the person, animal, or thing so offered. 3) the surrender or destruction of something prized or desirable for the sake of something considered as having a higher or more pressing claim. 

Changing a pattern and thought processes always deem to be difficult to do (even when they are good)! Over the last few posts I have been talking about major changes that were happening and going to happen so that I can pursue my purpose without abandonment.

So here I am...doing my best to follow who I know to be DAIDÍ (what I affectionately call GOD). And as His love letter to us tells me..."obedience is better than sacrifice". Last night I was obedient, and that obedience hurt to the core.

I'd been praying about the steps that I needed to take in order to get over the fears that are associated with moving forward with my purpose. Some answers came last year, and I took heed. They were things that were a stretch for me, but nothing that was shocking. But what I got in this new year of sleepless nights full of prayer was shocking. I needed to pull the trigger and...let go of this, and that. 

For the last few years I have been connected to a local congregation that has been so instrumental in my spiritual growth. I served on a few ministries, but the ministry that impacted me most was the praise and worship team. Last night I stepped down in obedience to what I know I need to do in order to fuel my purpose. 

The decision to do so wasn't quite a decision as it was a command. A command for me to be obedient regardless of what I felt or even what things look like. I love serving with the folks that I so affectionately call family. There was an undeniable bond formed with them that I don't foresee being broken. 

The reality is I'm diligently working (painting, sketching, commissioned pieces, murals, teaching, looking for residencies, etc.), but there is nothing that is present that would say that I couldn't continue serving in that capacity. The truth is, I don't know the next steps. I don't know how it's all going to pan out. I just don't! 

I'm simply being obedient...freeing myself of things He directs me to in order to be open to ultimately do what He needs me to! A hard pill to swallow, but a necessary one to digest. And this time, I'm not willing to regurgitate that pill. I'm not willing to bail out when fear rears it's ugly head, when the need to be comfortable pulls up, or when the sense of obligation is overwhelming.  

I read something today over at Studylite in preparation for this post that made so much sense. "Obedience springs from gratitude for grace received (Romans 12:12 ). Christians obey God as an expression of their spiritual freedom (Galatians 5:13 ; 1 Peter 2:16 ). Jesus taught that our love for God motivates us to obey Him (John 14:21 , John 14:23-24 ; John 15:10 )." 

So while this time is feeling sad and uncomfortable, the above statement rings true!  I ultimately believe that this time of obedience (no matter how hard it seems) is a result of me wanting to be in His will..showing my gratitude to an amazing Creator!

Your Thoughts:
What is the last thing you were obedient in giving up so that your purpose could go forth?

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Journeys are not meant to go on alone. I'd love for you to join in on my journey!

Check back often as I make every effort to reply to your comments here!