Wednesday, January 28, 2015

To Follow and Be Followed!



I recently read a caption to a picture by a fellow instagramer that I follow named Dallas Clayton. The caption read as such, "We raise children to believe that life is not a popularity contest, and yet here on all sides of us we find ranking, calculating, listing from best to worst. [It] Doesn't show any signs of slowing down, near as I can tell. Popularity contests are in fact as popular as they've ever been. Ha! So how do we reckon with it? I suspect the answer has something to do with embracing that thing you love knowing that who you are and what you are doesn't have to be popular to matter. Celebrating, in the face of all this projected desire to sit in the number one spot, the idea that the small and simple things can have just as much impact as those designed [to] blanket the masses. Play your song, raise your banner, love your love, find your worth, and be yourself, no matter who's listening."

His words had me thinking of my own reasons for wanting to follow and be followed! I peered inside...took a hard and honest look, and found that at this point in my life my need for community is strong. I've talked about everyone needing their prospective communities here before, but it really ties into why I follow the folks that I do.

I follow because I feel that there is something that I can learn from those I follow. There is something that they have done or are doing that I am working towards. There is something about them that I can relate to. They sometimes offer me hope that the next phase of my purpose and journey is achievable. It's a modern way of keeping in touch with those we consider greats in our prospective fields. A way to connect without physically connecting.

In some ways I hope that others follow me for reasons that parallel. I hope I can be a source of encouragement. A place where people can find an open and candid look at a journey that they can relate/connect to, and perhaps the courage to embark on a journey of their own as a result. I hope that there is a sense that struggles are meant to overcome and are present so we can claim to be victors instead of victims. I hope that folks always see optimism at its best in what I post...always glasses full (notice I put an es at the end of glass and there is no half in front of full)! I pray that people can find a sense of passion, compassion, love, and joy in following my journey and as a result finding these perks in their own journey.

I will continue to follow those who I admire, respect and find inspiring. Whether those you follow are friends who you know personally or strangers you have come to know via cyberspace; hopefully they are ones that invoke your creative being like never before.

Corner of Gratitude:
For those I follow who inspire me to be great

Pearls of Wisdom:
"Moral authority comes from following universal and timeless principles like honesty, integrity, treating people with respect."
~Stephen Covey

Your Thoughts:
Why do you follow and want to be followed?

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Journeys are not meant to go on alone. I'd love for you to join in on my journey!

Check back often as I make every effort to reply to your comments here!